What is dentin hypersensitivity??
DH has been defined as “pain derived from exposed dentin in response to chemical, thermal tactile or osmotic stimuli which cannot be explained as arising from any other dental defect or disease.
Dentine is covered and protected by enamel or cementum. There are many risk factors which can harm enamel or cementum, which are as follows:
- wrong brushing techniques
- wrong inter-dental floss use
- use of highly abrasive toothpastes
- presence of acid materials of external or internal origin in the oral cavity
- chronic traumas due to wrong habits (grinding teeth in stress situations)
- small dental breaks
- dental substance loss in the dental collar presumably associated to near occlusive trauma
- periodontal surgery operations
- dentinal gaps in the dental collar associated to the adherent gingival loss
- defect in the development of enamel and dentin
- broken fillings
- prosthetic preparations
- Potassium nitrate
- Calcium phosphate
- Calcium hydroxide
- Resin and dentin bonding agents
- Hydroxy Nanoapatite
- Ionophoresis together with fluorine administration
- Laser use
- It is simple, cheap and indicated for treatment of a spread hypersensitivity
- Commercial products used are toothpastes and mouthwashes containing one or more desensitization agents.
- Potassium salts
- Potassium salts and fluorine
- Take a detailed clinical and dietary history.
- Differentially diagnose the condition from other dental pain conditions.
- Identify and manage etiological and predisposing factors.
- In the case of mild-to-moderate sensitivity, advice at-home desensitizing therapy.
- If there is no relief or in case of severe sensitivity, initiate in-office treatment.
- In extreme cases, if the patient does not respond to the therapy and there are individual teeth exhibiting the symptoms, then endodontic therapy can be initiated.
- A regular review should be made with an emphasis on the prevention of the condition.
we believe in making our patients feel at home when they visit our practice. One of the Best Dental clinic in Gomti Nagar & Cosmetic dentistry in Lucknow, the entire staff likes to personalize the oral care experience. This means doing more than just helping you achieve a healthy, beautiful smile. We get to know everyone who comes to our real tooth dental clinic and we go the extra mile to educate you about how to maintain your oral health.
Dr. Megha Gupta